/etc/motd template

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Nov 20 16:18:19 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 09:49:08AM -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> >From a command-line-only (Ubuntu Server) perspective, a dynamic MOTD
> approximates a text-based alternative to the Desktop's system tray.
>
> My question to you is about the stock /etc/motd used in Ubuntu, pasted
> here for convenience:
>
> --------
>     Linux t61p 2.6.27-8-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 6 17:38:14 UTC 2008 x86_64
>
>     The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
>     the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
>     individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.
>
>     Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
>     applicable law.
>
>     To access official Ubuntu documentation, please visit:
>     http://help.ubuntu.com/

Couldn't this be shortened to one line?

      Access official Ubuntu documentation at http://help.ubuntu.com/

> --------
>
> This "stock" information is provided by /etc/motd.tail (plus the uname
> line).  update-motd is currently using this, because, well, we always
> have.
>
> I'm curious if the "free software" and "no warranty" paragraphs are
> still necessary/useful?  Do they belong in the MOTD, printed *every*
> time a user logs onto a system on the command line?

The disclaimer does seem excessive, particularly from the sense of being
a "Message of the Day", since it will never change.  Displaying it one
time on first boot, and then just a short reference after would make
sense?

     Your system uses free software; please see ... for terms.

What might be slick would be if this could detect if non-free software
is installed on the system, and highlight that too.

Unrelated question - will the motd be able to highlight and warn on
conditions like low disk space, excessive cpu temps, battery/hardware
recalls, etc.?

Bryce