package removal explanation?

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 12 01:10:25 GMT 2008

Hi Dustin,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:15:23AM +0100, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> Can anyone point me to documentation or mailing list discussion as to
> why xmms was removed from Ubuntu universe?
>  * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmms
>
> I mean, I know that upstream for the project is essentially dead, and
> there are tons of other alternative music players available.

That would be the reason.  :)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmms/+bug/190684

> But xmms remains rock-solid for my use cases (streaming over http),
> and I continue to build it in my PPA for each Ubuntu release.

I personally use rhythmbox for streaming, but bmpx and audacious have
been seen as replacements for xmms.

Besides, who doesn't love an upstream that makes fun of distros for dropping
them: http://www.xmms.org/

(even their website is down now...
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:rE9dXF_qyTsJ:www.xmms.org/+xmms&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

-Kees