Overall package list

Christopher James Halse Rogers chalserogers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 21:28:36 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 15:13 -0600, Jeff Hansen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to find an equivalent to Gentoo's /var/lib/portage/world in
> Ubuntu.  So far, it doesn't appear there is anything like it in anything
> but Gentoo, which is unfortunate.
>
> Basically I want to get a list of packages installed on the system, but
> *only* packages that actually affect the installation of dependent
> packages.  For example, Ubuntu has the ubuntu-minimal, ubuntu-standard,
> and ubuntu-desktop "meta-packages" or virtual packages.  All you have to
> do is install one of these packages (I'll use ubuntu-minimal for the
> purposes of my question), and apt will automatically figure out all of
> the dependent packages to install from there.

Hm.  Thanks for asking this question; it's made me dig into the aptitude
documentation a bit.  Turns out that aptitude's search mechanism is
substantially richer than I thought!

I suspect that the search you want is
"""
aptitude search "?and(?installed,?not(?automatic))"
"""
to select everything that's installed and not automatically installed
(ie: installed as a dependency of an explicitly installed package).