Inability to browse Windows shares.

Fabian Rodriguez magicfab at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 2 14:03:12 GMT 2008

Hi Mark,

It's refreshing to see an actual principal of a school taking the time
to even subscribe to a developer's mailing list. Thank you for taking
the time to share your frustration and concerns.

I suspect you will be highly disappointed of the answers you get here,
unless you become an active part of the solution to the bug from the
developers point of view. I also see several Canonical people subscribed
to the bug, so I know it is being taken seriously. This being "release
time", they may be busier than usual so that may also affect how this
bug is worked on by anyone involved.

If you wish to follow the community path to resolution of this issue,
I'd suggest:

- Subscribing your IT staff to the bug report

- Getting familiar with the Ubuntu release cycles and why some bugs
solutions don't show up before 6-12 months:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

- Getting familiar with the relationship with "upstream" products and
how collaboration/resolution happens at those levels. Jono Bacon and
Jorge Castro wrote something about how we try to improve that relationship
http://www.jonobacon.org/?p=1302
http://stompbox.typepad.com/blog/2008/09/introducing-the.html

- Assign your IT staff time to provide a thorough, detailed list of
steps to reproduce the bug including details of your configuration.
Becoming part of bug reporting teams may greatly improve your handling
of future / current issues. I wrote something about that a few months ago:
http://www.fabianrodriguez.com/blog/2008/01/18/the-bug-reporting-culture-10-things-to-avoid-10-things-you-must-do/
or
http://ur1.ca/dnn

- Make sure your IT staff follows up with their contribution, if any
(don't "fire & forget")

If this sounds time consuming and involved, it is. Samba / Windows file
sharing problems often happen in environments that are complex to
reproduce and troubleshoot, I think we all understand that. Such moving
targets require much more resources than others.

Failing that, there are commercial support options to do the same at a
fraction of the cost, leading to know earlier if/when it can be fixed.
Unfortunately as soon as I enter that territory it becomes slippery as I
am a Canonical employee (at support!) and commercial services mean
spending money, always a touchy subject when Ubuntu is only known as a
community project, as opposed to the commercial product it also is. But
you're talking about an organization with business concerns, so I feel
the least you should do is know your options - even this late in your
problem. Other commercial providers would probably contact you directly
in other contexts and I am guessing you are open to that as the
principal at your school.

I hope this sheds some light and may help others approach this kind of
important issue in a helpful way - I don't pretend this post is the
final solution to all cases, but I'm very interested in the outcome,
whatever it may be and of course open to further discussion.

Cheers,

Fabian Rodriguez, Ubuntu Systems Senior Support Analyst
Canonical Global Support & Services
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/FabianRodriguez