Ubuntu versioning in native packages

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Sat May 31 16:48:19 BST 2008

Le samedi 31 mai 2008, Emmet Hikory a écrit :
> Luca Falavigna wrote:
> > When applying Ubuntu changes to a Debian native package, we usually use
> > packagename_Xubuntu1 versioning. For instance, sxid source package [1]
> > has version 4.0.5 in Debian and 4.0.5ubuntu1 in Ubuntu.
> >
> > If a native package needs to be NMUed, Debian uses version-0.1 style.
> > This happened [2] to sxid, now Debian has 4.0.5-0.1.
> >
> > When there is need to merge these packages, we can not directly
> > upload them because Ubuntu version is higher than Debian NMU
> > one and we receive a REJECT from Soyuz.
> >
> > Is there something we can do to avoid these cases?
>
>     It has been previously suggested that Ubuntu always use a version
> of the form X.Y-0.0ubuntuZ when uploading modified Debian-native
> packages.  In discussion this was considered less than ideal because
> 1) it's extra work to remember to do it, 2) there aren't many native
> packages and people can just watch them, and 3) the developer tools
> complain when this format is used (as they complain for Debian NMUs
> for native packages).

FYI, the rule has recently changed (at least for native packages) and
Debian will use "+nmuX" instead of "-0.X".

And this should solve your problem apparently:
$ dpkg --compare-versions 1.4ubuntu1 gt 1.4+nmu1 && echo yes || echo no
no

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com

Freexian : des développeurs Debian au service des entreprises
http://www.freexian.com