Respecting the Host Protected Area

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Thu May 29 15:22:27 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 18:17 -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:

> The only problem with respecting HPA by default is that it can cause
> problems for users who have bios that uses HPA, formated their disk
> with an old kernel using the old ide driver, and then upgraded.

Is it possible to detect this situation?

When the HPA is not respected, can we see from userspace where it should
have been?  If so, we can detect this during upgrade and make changes to
ensure that HPA remains unrespected.

For others, who aren't overlapping into the HPA area, we can then
respect it (and on fresh installs).

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant