Proposing general SRU exception: hal-info

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed May 28 09:14:31 BST 2008

Hello,

With our LTS SRUs focusing on constantly improving hardware support, I
propose to add another special case to [1]: I would like to regularly
update hardy with new versions of hal-info.

This package contains Hal FDI files which provide information for
suspend/resume quirks, keymaps for "special keys" (brightness, volume,
Fn-Keys), information about USB music players, battery recalls, and
the like.

It just contains of XML data, no code at all. Hal is robust against
errors in the XML, it won't crash (just ignore the broken file).
However, it reports misformatted XML files, so this check should
become part of the SRU procedure.

In a way, hal-info is for hardware what tzdata is for your clock.

Proposed amendment:

  hal-info

  The hal-info package contains descriptions, quirks, and other
  information about hardware components, in particular for
  suspend/resume, Laptop Fn keys, broken batteries, and multimedia
  devices. It gets frequent updates in stable LTS releases. After one
  week of maturing in -proposed and no regression bug reports it can
  be moved to hal-updates.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Martin