Bug documentation

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Sat May 24 16:32:38 BST 2008

Hi all,

During a discussion at UDS I thought that perhaps some developers
were not aware of some of the documentation we have available relating
to bugs. This mail is informational, and I hope useful to some
people.

The main bulk of the documentation lives under

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs

though

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs

is a better page to start from.

In particular I will highlight

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance

and

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status

which document the policy on the respective fields.

I'll also highlight

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Debian/Usertagging

because it would be great if more people would make use of this.

In addition to the bugs pages we have the DebuggingProcedures pages,
which document how to get useful information about a bug in a
specific package, or family of packages, for instance

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingNetworkManager

It would be great if we had more of these pages, so if you would
like to contribute to one for a set of packages that you are familiar
with then please do so. It will hopefully mean that you get
better quality bug reports, and possibly increases the chances of
getting a Bug Day for the packages.

Lastly, I will mention where you can find the bugsquad if you need
to talk with them for any reason. There is the mailing list
ubuntu-bugsquad, and the IRC channel #ubuntu-bugs.

Thanks,

James