The future of packages.ubuntu.com regarding hosting

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Sun May 18 16:04:34 BST 2008

Frank Lichtenheld wrote the following on 28.04.2008 22:37

Hi all

> Hi.
>
> [Sorry if this isn't the right forum to bring this issue up, I honestly
>  don't know which is, so feel free to redirect me.]
>
> packages.ubuntu.com is (and always was) hosted personally by me,
> since I started the service on my own and never asked for hosting.
> But its usage continues to grow and my server just isn't enough for it
> anymore, especially since the machine is heavily used for other stuff
> as well.
>
> So I think it is time to move it to a stronger machine, one not owned
> personally by me, preferrably one that belongs to Ubuntu or Canonical.
>
> Minimum system requirements for a dedicated machine would be a current
> Dual Core CPU with about 2GB of RAM. It currently runs on such a server
> (but which has other uses as well, as mentioned), and that works okayish except
> for release days as could be observed at the end of last week. More Cores
> and more RAM don't actually hurt, of course ;)
>
> Comments, suggestions and proposals welcome.
>
> Gruesse,

First i would like to give you Frank a big KUDOS for providing this really
superb service up to now.

Second i would like to bring this question up on the table again. Now that
devs are gathered at UDS it might be a good time to discuss this.

packages.ubuntu.com is usefull and needed service. How and where will it
survive - if at all?

TIA
--
bye Thilo