libffi4 -> libffi5 transition

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sun May 11 01:50:34 BST 2008

I was just looking into a FTBFS for a sync I'd requested and discovered that
libffi4 (that used to be provided by the GCC 4.2 source package) has vanished
in Intrepid and been replaced by libffi5 provided from a new libffi source
package.

My current problem turned out to be:

python-gobject: Depends: libffi4 (>= 4.1.1-21) but it is not going to be
installed

So I looked into rebuilding pygobject in Intrepid so it would build against
libffi5, but then I notice pygobject is in Main and libffi is still in
Universe, so even if it works locally, I couldn't fix it in the archive.

I am hoping someone has this on their radar screen and it already working on
it.  I'm not sure how much breakage this is currently causing, but the list
of rdepends is not small:

libffi4
Reverse Depends:
  totem-xine