OpenSync version for 8.04 (Re: Hardy: Time for sync project focus and here is how)

John Carr john.carr at unrouted.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 16:11:48 GMT 2008

Hi

With my SynCE dev / support hat on:

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Chris Cheney <ccheney at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 18:22 +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
>  > On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:00:07PM -0500, Chris Cheney wrote:
>  > > Doesn't synce still require kernel patches to make it work? I have
>  > > worked with the Debian maintainer of synce a bit when I have had the
>  > > time to get stuff updated in Debian to try to make the update in Ubuntu
>  > > less painful, but it looks like some parts need to be fixed in userspace
>  > > so it doesn't require the kernel changes, which from what I gather
>  > > aren't going to be accepted in the upstream kernel.
>  >
>  > Good question - I don't have WM hardware and never took a look at it.
>  > The Mandriva packager said they included a patched kernel module indeed.
>  >
>  > This all needs more integration.

Basically, yes. A one line patch is still needed in ordered to make
the Windows Mobile 5/6 devices function. A further hack is available
for to make other devices work. That 2nd patch is a hack because it
simply adds a delay in a few places, but this seems to have fixed it
for all parties. We don't have the expertise or a faulty device to fix
this /properly/ ourselves. A 3rd patch allows lucky windows mobile 3g
phone owners to use their device as an internet gateway (i say gateway
as it appears as a network interface rather than a modem like most
other devices).

So far none of our users have reported that these patches have eaten
any kittens.

>  Actually thinking about it some more I think it was that the patch was
>  just done incorrectly but that it could be patched in a different kernel
>  module properly without causing problems with other hardware. However, I
>  don't know if the patch has been rewritten yet. I should talk to the
>  synce guys again soon to find out the status.

Basically, the guy who got this working is no longer around. So don't
just wait around hoping its going to get rewritten soon ;) We don't
have any kernel people around right now, and patches generally come
from non kernel people - basically passers by or the result of
me+irc+user who can't get it to work. If anyone wants to have a look
at the driver code it is here:

http://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/trunk/usb-rndis-lite/

Most of the delta from the equivalent files in upstream will probably
be #ifdef cruft to support more kernels.

John