hardy init script status action

Rick Clark rick.clark at canonical.com
Thu Mar 20 12:20:04 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 17:33:30 Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:33:28AM -0700, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> > As for the other daemons: given the simple nature and low risk of the
> > change, I'd rather be able to say from now on that status works, and
> > can be integrated in ebox etc, than to have to explain to folks for 5
> > years in our documentation etc. that "if you are on hardy, you need to
> > run this oddball script rather than using the lsb standard way of
> > querying the status".
>
> One of the points that has been made in this thread is that for intrepid
> and beyond, we'll be trying to move things directly into upstart - so the
> init scripts would be completely obsolete, and the recommended method for
> querying status will differ between hardy and intrepid anyway.

Steve,

I understand what your saying, but our concern stems from the fact that Hardy
is a LTS, and we will be dealing with it, and any deficiencies in it for
years.

Unfortunately, this did not make it to the top of our list until very late in
the release cycle.  This is a mistake we will try not to repeat in 8.10.
Obviously you are the release manager, if you feel any of the changes
proposed by the server team are too dangerous, we will respect your decision.

Rick