hardy init script status action

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 18 19:17:46 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 06:51:03PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 14:15 -0400, Mathias Gug wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 06:06:50PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > I've added udev to the list because there is udevd running on my system.
> > If you think it's pointless, that is one less package to touch.
> >
> Why do you need to know the status of daemons?  Are you writing some
> kind of front-end?

/etc/init.d/apache2 status is probably one the first command I've
learned when I started as a sysadmin. And I'd use it on a daily basis
whenever something goes wrong on a machine. And this is the one thing
that I miss from Redhat/FC - the status action in the init script.

After talking with other linux sysadmins, it seems that it's common
knowledge that you can check that your services are running with their
corresponding init script.

> If you can use ps to see the daemons running, aren't you inherently
> giving yourself the answer?

Sure - but you can put more knowledge in the status action script to
make sure that the service is operational.

For example, the status action of the mysql init script connects to
mysqld to make sure it's still responding. In that case using the ps
command wouldn't be as useful as "/etc/init.d/mysql status".

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com