Initramfs error handling, and mdadm - How to get mdadm's mount failure hook to function.

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 10 20:07:10 GMT 2008

Luke Yelavich wrote:
> The problem with mdadm in this case, is that the /dev/md device node
> gets created, even if the array is degraded. The obvious consequence of
> this, is that the root device node is found, and the failure hook for
> mdadm is not run, causing the boot process to error out later on.

Seems to me that checking for the existence of the root device is not
sufficient.  I think this is related to the EvmsLvmRaidAgain spec and
the solution needs to involve a deliberate set of state information
indicated whether or not a device is published for use.  An offline md
device should not be and therefore should not be accepted as a usable
root device.