Saving last successfully booted kernel

Ben Collins ben.collins at canonical.com
Thu Jun 26 14:34:56 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 09:45 +0200, Kasper Peeters wrote:
> > Just wanted to point people at this:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/removing-old-kernels
> >
> > It's the first step in the road to getting rid of old kernels.
>
> This is going to be a problem for e.g. systems with flaky video
> drivers, where often an updated kernel seems to work (i.e. boots fine
> to any specified runlevel) but then turns out to have problems
> nevertheless (for instance a suspend which doesn't work anymore). You
> will never be able to auto-detect that.

The last-good-kernel is meant to make sure the system still boots, not
to make sure suspend/resume still work. As long as they can still boot,
they can fix their system.

> So even if this is going to be implemented, can we have an option to
> switch this off completely?

Sure, or you can just choose not to autoremove kernels. Nothing is going
to force old kernels to be removed, they will just be shown to the user
as things they don't need anymore.