Moving w3m out of standard

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 17 14:33:27 BST 2008

Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 11:17 -0500, James Dinkel wrote:
>> I think an interactive web browser is completely unnecessary on a
>> server.  You should do your browsing from a workstation, and then use
>> wget or sftp to transfer any files you need to the server.
>
> There are cases where the documentation that is packaged with typical
> server applications only comes as HTML (e.g. Wordpress). You won't get
> far with 'less' here, I always installed lynx for these cases.

    I'd recommend elinks over either w3m or lynx for this purpose.  It
is already in main, is well supported, and is the most frequently
recommended text-mode browser on the ubuntu-accessibility mailing
list, so likely to stay well supported for the medium term.

    That said, the parallel argument could be made that one ought read
documentation locally on one's workstation, while remotely attached to
the server  (which, yes, fails against the heterogenous environment
complaint).

--
Emmet HIKORY