mplayer should be moved to universe

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 1 03:15:12 BST 2008

Hi,

(CC-ing ubuntu-devel for clarification)

Am Samstag 31 Mai 2008 23:03:32 schrieb Michael Bienia:

> As mplayer and mencoder are build from the same source package, it's not
> really easy to put them into different components (universe/multiverse).
>
> I'm not sure if it's allow that a source package from multiverse can
> built a package for universe, but my guess would be that it's not
> allowed.

actually, this seems to be possible, at least based on comments from Colin on
irc (see [1], somewhere after 19:18).

> Moving the source package to universe and put mencoder into multiverse
> isn't probably possible either: I didn't check if mplayer has some
> build-depends from multiverse (which would prevent putting mplayer
> source into universe) or if it's possible to put the source into
> universe at all (due to the patents as afaik that's a reason why it's in
> multiverse).

hm... if only patent issues are a problem, I'd like to know what patents can
actually cover. If patents only limit usage, but not distribution, I see no
problems with putting mplayer sources in universe, and building binary
mencoder packages in multiverse. Can someone clarify this?

Cheers,
   Stefan.
--
[1]: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2007/10/23/%23ubuntu-devel.html