pcsc-lite for main?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 22 15:45:18 BST 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 02:44:07PM +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Hi fellow Developers,
>
> cf. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/247689 for background.
>
> wpa_supplicant is now able to use smartcards for authentication. However
> this requires wpasupplicant to be built against pcsc-lite, which is in
> universe.
>
> I personally do not have access to such a network, so I cannot really
> test it myself. However I have no reason to believe that this wouldn't
> work, so I'm inclined to not disable this feature from the ubuntu
> package.
>
> Currently, pcsc-lite is in intrpeid/universe. It builds the following
> binary packages:
>
> pcscd: The main daemon
> libpcsclite-dev: Development libraries
> libpcsclite1: The library itself.
>
> Since, as said I don't use that feature myself (I do use pcscd for my
> GPG card, though), I don't really think I'm qualified to do a full
> MIR. For wpasupplicant, it would be sufficient to have libpcsclite1 and
> libpcsclite-dev in main so that the package can be built against that.
> I therefore ask if a full MIR is required, or if we can do a leveraged
> process for libpcsclite1 and libpcsclite-dev only.
>
> What do others think about this? would someone support that partial MIR?
>
> The other option we have would be to disable smartcard support from the
> wpasupplicant package, which I don't think is the most desireable option
> we have.

I think there it would be much better if there were someone in the Ubuntu
project who could look after it (i.e. uses the necessary hardware and
service).  Have you heard from anyone?

How complex is the API?  Perhaps it could be made to dlopen() the library
(and Suggest it) rather than build-depending.

--
 - mdz