SSLv2 - do we really need it?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 21 07:45:22 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 06:58:41AM +0200, Ante Karamatic wrote:

> I've been working on:

> https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/migrate-off-ssl-v2

> Two of our SSL libraries have SSLv2 disabled (or non-existing) by
> default - GnuTLS and NSS. Since SSLv2 is archaic and shouldn't be used
> at all, the easiest way to remove SSLv2 from Ubuntu is to disable it in
> OpenSSL too. And I think everybody would prefer that over changing
> configuration for each package. I realize that this might be a huge
> change and maybe should be done in Debian, but the impact should be
> minimal (if any).

> Are there any packages/programs that anyone is aware of that still
> don't use SSLv3 or TLS, but only SSLv2 (it's been a decade since SSLv3
> was released)?

There is a bug in the Debian BTS about OpenLDAP+gnutls failing to connect to
an IBM LDAP product, presumed to be because gnutls doesn't support SSLv2:
<http://bugs.debian.org/466477>

Given that the OpenLDAP packages are already /not/ using OpenSSL this
doesn't apply directly, but there might be other examples of such things in
the wild that users need to be able to maintain compatibility with.