New libtool in intrepid

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Fri Jul 18 11:58:36 BST 2008

Intrepid now has the new upstream version of GNU Libtool: 2.2

Amongst the benefits are much faster configure scripts and builds, with
a properly versioned M4 API and proper compatibility with Autoconf 2.6x
and Automake 1.6+

Most packages are unaffected since they do not call libtoolize when they
build, and use an internal copy of libtool anyway.

Most of the remaining packages that do will be unaffected, since a lot
of effort has been put in by upstream to maintain compatibility with the
Libtool 1.5 interface.

There's one known gotcha, I've scanned the archive and couldn't find any
packages likely to be affected, but just in case:

  Libtool now only tests and generates output for languages that you
  are actually going to use (no more fortran-related configure output).

  It knows what languages you're going to use because you put tests
  for the compiler in your configure.ac, e.g. for C++:

    AC_PROG_CXX
    AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

  Some packages may have failed to do this, relying on the fact that
  libtool checked for a C++ compiler itself.  Those packages may fail
  to build.

  Simple rule: if you use a compiler, make sure you have the appropriate
  AC_PROG_* for it in configure.ac

For other problems, my ancient guide is still pretty much correct:

    http://people.debian.org/~keybuk/libtool-updating.html

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant