Intrepid seed tidying

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 17 11:16:20 BST 2008

Hi Matt,

Matt Zimmerman [2008-07-13 11:25 +0100]:
> mii-diag hasn't been updated since 2006.  We originally added it to
> complement mii-tool (net-tools) because it was said that it worked with some
> devices which mii-tool did not.  We also have ethtool, which from what I can
> see, provides a superset of the relevant functionality from mii-tool and
> mii-diag and is actively maintained upstream.  I see we have a udeb for
> mii-diag, though I'm not sure why.  It seems justifiable to have one of
> these tools in minimal in order to get around situations where ethernet
> autonegotiation is failing ("get on the network and install more packages"),
> but I think mii-tool is good enough for that case.
>
> Proposal: drop mii-diag
> Proposal: move tehtool to supported

I didn't do that yet, since it requires a MIR and might need further
discussion.

> pcmciautils is currently in minimal, but seems very unlikely to be useful on
> servers.
>
> Proposal: move pcmciautils to the server default seed

Done (to desktop).

> aptitude is currently in minimal, but is not required on all systems, and
> provides an alternative interface for functionality available in apt.
> tasksel depends on it, but insofar as I can tell, it is only required for
> 'Packages: manual' which I don't think we use.  It also pulls in libcwidget,
> libept, libsigc++ and libxapian, none of which are used by other packages in
> minimal, and some of which could probably come off the CD entirely.
>
> Proposal: move aptitude to supported

Good catch! Done.

> gettext-base is currently in minimal, but I don't see why it should be
> seeded explicitly.  It is used by other packages in minimal, but doesn't
> seem to justify being in minimal on its own.
>
> Proposal: remove gettext-base from minimal

Ack. It's pulled in by friendly-recovery and others anyway. Unseeded.

> libfribidi0 is currently in minimal, but is recommended by libnewt.
> With Intrepid's germinate, shouldn't we be able to unseed it?
>
> Proposal: remove libfribidi0 from minimal

Done.

> pciutils and usbutils are in minimal, but one can get by just fine without
> them.
>
> Proposal: move pciutils from minimal to standard
> Proposal: move usbutils from minimal to standard

That shouldn't make a real pratical difference, but logically I agree.
Done.

> tcpd is in minimal, but nothing in minimal makes use of it.  The comment
> indicates that it's there to provide /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}; without these,
> it's impossible to configure programs which use libwrap.  However, libwrap
> recommends tcpd, so I think this can be dropped entirely.
>
> Proposal: remove tcpd from minimal

Done.

> util-linux-locales is in minimal, but it's completely empty as its contents
> are moved into language packs.
>
> Proposal: move util-linux-locales to supported

Done.

> inputattach is in standard, with the justification that it's needed for
> serial mice and joysticks.  Mice and joysticks are desktop things.
>
> Proposal: move inputattach from standard to desktop

Done.

I'll rebuild ubuntu-meta now to reflect the changes.

Thanks for that review!

Martin