Universe Recommends for packages in main

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 10 13:57:55 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:45:39PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 02:58:08PM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 05:45:01PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > It's "perfectly reasonable" to install OpenOffice.org without support
> > > for importing 1.x documents and without support for LaTeX output,
> > > although those features "enhance its usefulness". I definitely don't
> > > think they meet the criterion of "all but unusual installations".
> > >
> > > As I said, I think Java is on the boundary between those two
> > > definitions, but seeing as the "usual" installation of Ubuntu is what
> > > you get from a CD and we have been managing to cope so far, I think
> > > there's a case that installing OOo without Java is "perfectly
> > > reasonable".
> >
> > I thought we had included the oo.o Java bits until recently, and they were
> > dropped in error.
>
> While it was something of a mistake that they were dropped, we have now
> partially compensated for it by means of a helpful message telling the
> user what to do in case they run into a case where Java is needed (see
> LP #218692), and given size constraints I think there's a good case that
> we should extend those compensating measures (e.g. provide a button that
> you can click to have the system install openoffice.org-java-common for
> you) rather than restoring Java.

It's been difficult to make a judgment about this without knowing exactly
what functionality is affected.  I only just discovered this useful page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Java_and_OpenOffice.org

Based on that, I think I agree that this is 'Suggests' territory.

OpenOffice.org Base

    * Create Form Wizard

OpenOffice.org Writer

    * Letter Wizard