Server Team 20080708 meeting minutes

Mathias Gug mathiaz at
Wed Jul 9 21:54:55 BST 2008


Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with        
the irc logs here:        

==== Updated Server Team Roadmap ====

mathiaz updated the Server Team Roadmap with a list of specs targeted
for Intrepid. He reminded everyone to add missing blueprints and update
existing ones.

ACTION: kirkland to update the lsb section on the roadmap.

ACTION: nxvl to add a section about augeas.

==== Ubuntu Server Guide bzr branch ====

mathiaz looked into splitting the Ubuntu server guide into its own bzr branch
in order to make it easier and faster for new contributors to submit updates.
He asked how translations were integrated in the package. LaserJock gave some
details. The discussion was defer to #ubuntu-server after the meeting.

==== Migrate openldap configuration to cn=config ====

mathiaz made some progress on supporting the config backend in the openldap
package. He scheduled some time next week with slangasek to talk about his

==== Encrypted ~/Private Directory in Each User's Home ====

kirkland reported that this spec is in great shape for intrepid. Two
modifications to /etc/pam.d/common-auth and /etc/pam.d/common-session still
need to be done manually.

ACTION: kirkland to update the testing instructions in the Spec and send an
email out to the server mailing list about ecrypts fs.

ACTION: kirkland to ask for feedback on how to add the pam_ecryptfs module to
the pam stack.

==== Migrate new installs and upgrades of client and server packages to use
SSL v3 or TLS ====

ivoks started to make a list of services that need their configuration updated
to provide SSL v3/TLS by default.

ACTION: ivoks to update the MigrateOffSSL2 wiki page with a list of services
that needs to be checked and fixed.

==== Integration of Dovecot SASL and Postfix ====

mathiaz noted that there are currently two sasl implementations in main: cyrus
and dovecot. While writing one of his spec, he found that most of the services
in main use the Cyrus SASL implementation - only two services (exim and
postfix) support the dovecot implementation. He wondered why use the dovecot
implementation instead of cyrus.

ACTION: ivoks to evaluate what needs to be done for cyrus sasl/postfix

ACTION: mathiaz to update the Roadmap wrt postfix sasl integration.

====  Ubuntu Manpage Repository ====

elmo has agreed to provide hosting for it. The code is awaiting kees' security
audit. There's a Launchpad project[1] if anyone else wants to review it.

kirkland may add the dman command line which provides instant access from a
command line to any man page in any Ubuntu release dapper - intrepid,
main/universe/multiverse/restricted. This shell script can be found in the
same LP project as the repository code.


==== Call for user experiences on WBEM/CIM Servers ====

Koon has been investigating options for integrating a WBEM/CIM server in
Ubuntu server. He was wondering if anyone in the team had any experience to
share (OpenWBEM, SBLIM, OpenPegasus, others ). nealmcb offered to forward
Koon's requests and questions to folks that should know more about this

==== Intrepid alpha 2 ====

mathiaz reminded that Alpha 2 is targeted for Thursday and that there is a
soft freeze in effect. This also means that some -server isos will require
testing in the next days. As usual coordination takes place in #ubuntu-testing
and on the Iso testing tracker[2].

sommer wondered if the isos were working with kvm. nijaba reported that soren
said he would upload a patch to fix that shortly. mathiaz added that he
successfully booted an intrepid guest with the latest kernel upload (-3), but
that the system would produce a lot of oopses.


==== Augeas almost in Intrepid ====

nxvl reported that his augeas package had been uploaded to the archive and was
waiting for a review by an archive admin. The next step is to write more
lenses for the services that we'd like to support: he created such a list[3]
and is looking for help.


==== Agree on next meeting date and time ====

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 15th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer

More information about the ubuntu-devel mailing list