Did we really release 8.04?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 7 09:04:40 BST 2008

Scott Kitterman [2008-07-06 15:27 -0400]:
> So for the standard Kubuntu default install (I didn't add anything yet),
> we've touched ~15% of the packages post-release.  I don't have stats from
> previous releases to compare, but that sems like a lot.

Indeed it is.

> I don't know is it's reflective of being relaxed about what's allowed for
> SRU or a poor state of a lot of packages at release.  I suspect it's some
> combination.

The major reason for this incredibly busy SRU time was that we had
some 10 developers being assigned to fixing bugs in Hardy exclusively.
With that much manpower to throw at it, it's natural that there was a
lot of churn.

Indeed hardy final had quite a lot of major bugs which needed to be
shaken out (upgrade bugs from gutsy and dapper, regressions in gvfs
which is still not quite mature yet, hardware problems, etc.; stuff
that generally pops up when people actually *use* the release on a
wide scale). Aside from that we applied many non-critical, but safe
patches to generally improve desktop behaviour and little buglets,
which is quite nice to have for an LTS as well.

Martin