Java Team meeting Jul 3rd - minutes

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 4 09:27:00 BST 2008

Participants:
 * dholbach
 * robilad
 * leetcharmer
 * chandru_in
 * persia
 * laga
 * bliZZardz
 * ScottK
 * rivasdiaz
 * Koon
 * yuriy
 * marting
 * cody-somerville
 * doko
 * mslama
 * dherron

Agenda:
 * Regular Meeting times: we agreed on weekly meetings on Thu 15:00 UTC
and will switch to meetings every two weeks once the roadmap and initial
structure is sorted out.
 * Roadmap for Intrepid: lots of initial ideas for
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JavaTeam/Roadmap were discussed, among them:
  - Java usage on the server,
  - transitioning Java packages from multiverse->universe and
universe->main,
  - Usage of Maven
  - etc.
  It was decided to flesh out the plans and re-visit the roadmap in the
next meeting.
 * OpenJDK in main: doko clarified that "openjdk in main will likely
happen in July; the problem will be that we won't have it on all
architectures, so people and packagers should be prepared to see another
vm/sdk on the community ports", porting efforts and the state of the
web-plugin were discussed too
 * Debian/Ubuntu Java packaging coop: the rough consensus was that we'll
collaborate with the Debian team, but we'll always have a few
differences (different release schedules, triaging Ubuntu / Debian Java
bugs) but we'll in case we "package stuff that is not yet packaged" we
will notify the Debian team about it
 * Clarification of Java meta-packages / virtual packages: doko
explained the idea of the different packages:
  - *-sdk, *-runtime and *-runtime-headless are current
  - recent *-sdk provides *-compiler
 * Packaging Maven2 fixes from Fedora: Maven "supports semi-automatic
fetching of build time dependencies from a maven JAR repository", some
plans were discussed to figure out how to solve the problem
 * Java desktop integration (Bug 99445): It was concluded that
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sun-java6/+bug/99445 currently
contains not enough information

Thanks everybody for kicking off the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JavaTeam

Have a nice day,