Universe Recommends for packages in main

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 2 17:22:22 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 10:05:03AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 July 2008 09:46, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Some of these are trivial, some are bugs, and some are even in main
> > already for one reason or another. I think very few packaging changes
> > will be needed to keep packages out of main as a result of this.
> >
> > At present the number of packages pulled into (e.g.) the desktop CDs as
> > a result of following Recommends is rather more substantial. However, I
> > think this is mostly because language-pack-*-base recommends
> > language-support-*, and once that's fixed most of this should go away.
> > The list follows for completeness, but don't panic about it just yet.
>
> Is there an easy way to determine which package is to blame for pulling these
> in?  I can see this being very helpful for getting things sorted out.

Once I get the new germinate rolled out, the files under
http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/germinate-output/ will show a
plausible first approximation to the "most important" culprit, and you
can look at the files under rdepends/ in each directory for more details
if need be.

> As an example, if exim4 is getting pulled onto the Desktop CD, I'm guessing
> it'll likely get pulled onto the Sever CD too and we'll want to want to do
> some additional exim4|mail-transport-agent / postfix|mail-tranport-agent
> changes.  It'd be handy to have a easy way to get the work list.

I haven't done a full analysis yet, but at least mdadm is one culprit.