Kernel Crash Dumps

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 1 07:20:03 BST 2008

Ben Collins wrote:
> As of the last kernel upload in intrepid, we now have the ability to
> automatically capture crash dumps from kernel panics.
>
> To enable this, you can install the linux-crashdump-generic meta
> package. If you don't have universe in your repo, you will also need to
> get the makedumpfile package.
>
> Once you reboot, everything will be enabled. Any panic by the kernel
> will reboot into the crashkernel, and save away the kernel core
> to /var/crash/vmcore.
>
> Right now, this requires a linux-image-debug-generic package (pulled in
> by the crashdump meta package). However, with the next kernel upload,
> this wont be needed (saves you from installing a 50Meg package).
>
> Apport has a bug filed so that it will detect these vmcore's and handle
> them appropriately by asking the user to file a bug with the vmcore
> attached.

Ben:

It's great to see this fully enabled now.  Will there be any
disadvantages to having all of this running at all times?  Is the
eventual goal going to be to boot into this type of "crash ready" mode
for everyone, or just when someone has a reproducible panic they will be
recommended to install this crashdump meta?

Regards

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at ubuntu.com