Perl Modules Conundrum

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 9 07:44:05 GMT 2008

Hello,

Scott Kitterman [2008-01-07 11:41 -0500]:
> Currently there are Perl modules (at least libfile-temp-perl and
> libtest-harness-perl) that are provided by the perl-modules package in Perl
> and also packaged separately in a later version.  It is currently impossible
> to build against these separate packages on the buildds.
>
> What happens is that sbuild checks to see if it has such a module installed,
> determines that it does, because the module is provided by perl-modules.
> Later the build will fail due to dependency problems because the version is
> insufficient.

Right, and this is a bug we should fix, since it does not just affect
Perl. If sbuild sees a versioned dependency, it should not look for
already available Provides: since these are not versioned. Since this
does not seem to affect Debian's sbuild, I guess this problem comes
from our Ubuntu specific changes to build dependency installation
(which has been tweaked particularly for alternatives IIRC, to avoid
small b-dep only deltas to Debian). Adam, what do you think?

> The challenge is that provides are versioned, so there's no way for sbuild to
> know with it's current design that it should look further.  I suspect it's
> unrealistic to except a near-term Launchpad/sbuild fix for this.

I disagree. Since Provides: can never be versioned, a versioned b-dep
can never be fulfilled by a virtual package, so at least conceptually
this is easy to solve (no idea about the code, though).

> My proposed solution to this problem is to rip libfile-temp-perl and
> libtest-harness-perl out of perl-modules, promote the separate packages to
> Main, and then add them as dependencies of perl-modules to that they could
> still be relied on to be present.

That would be possible, but I'd actually prefer to properly fix
sbuild. My second-best preference is to update perl's included modules
themselves (upstream preferably) and get rid of the duplicate packages
entirely. Only if that doesn't work out, we can make them strict
dependencies of perl-modules.

Thanks,

Martin

--