unrar-free

Rafael Proença cypherbios at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 11 12:44:37 GMT 2008

Seems that the stock File-roller, like Ark (default in Kubuntu, I suppose),
tries to use the binary named 'unrar' in order to uncompress the files. The
unrar-free package provides the binary 'unrar-free'.

If the unrar-free and unrar provides the same functionalities I would
suggest to rename the unrar-free binary to unrar and makes it conflict with
the unrar package, so the system would have only one at the same time.

But yes, RAR by default would be great if it is in fact completely free.

On Feb 11, 2008 10:07 AM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I didn't know about unrar-free until it was mentioned on
> ubuntu-devel-discuss recently.  It takes up a trivial amount of space and
> (judging by some of the how-tos I see out there) would be appropriate to
> include by default, assuming file-roller knows how to use it.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
>  - mdz

Rafael Proença