slocate in the default desktop install

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 11 11:46:39 GMT 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:31:44AM +0000, Thom May wrote:
> * Matt Zimmerman (mdz at ubuntu.com) wrote :
> > Should we still ship slocate on desktops?
>
> I think this is another "good unix desktop" issue. Do we still care that
> old-school types expect locate to work?
> Tracker doesn't fully replace it - if I expect to be able to figure out
> where some file under /srv is, I can't do that with tracker anyway can I?
> So I think we should ship /some/ locate.

The main issue I see with it is that (in contrast to tracker) it is
invisible to the casual user.  They can't tell why their system has slowed
to a crawl, and can't cancel the indexing operation which is in progress.
This is particularly insidious when they also don't benefit from the
results.

Should every Ubuntu desktop user have to update this index every day so that
we UNIX weenies can use locate?

Perhaps it could only start updating the indexes if someone has tried to use
locate at least once...

--
 - mdz