slocate in the default desktop install

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 11 11:15:45 GMT 2008

Since very early on, we've shipped slocate as a part of the default desktop
install in Ubuntu.  This provides an indexed list of filenames on the system
to assist in searching for a file by name.  I'm not sure whether any of the
standard desktop applications made use of it, or whether it was only useful
on the command line.

Today, at least, it doesn't seem to be used, and more featureful indexed
searching is provided by tracker, and the overhead of re-indexing daily can
be inconvenient for laptop users.

Should we still ship slocate on desktops?

--
 - mdz