Question on multi-head Dapper->Hardy upgrades

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Thu Feb 7 19:18:45 GMT 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:24:50AM +0100, Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
>
> > What is our position on supporting upgrades of users with xorg.conf's
> > that have Xinerama-based dual-head configurations to Hardy (where
> > Xinerama is now deprecated)?  Is this an upgrade path that you are
> > testing, or one we will not be supporting?
>
> Are multi-head configurations actually supported with Hardy? ("support"
> as of "help by the community", not technically)

Dual-head is supported through use of the xrandr command line tool, or
through manually specifying the xrandr layout in xorg.conf.

> I have the feeling that Ubuntu only supports single-head atm. and if
> someone wants to go multihead, he is pretty much on his own. The
> "Screens and Graphics" preferences do not even technically support
> multihead on Intel chipsets with Gutsy, and last I checked Hardy will
> not change the situation.

Actually, I'm in the process of rectifying this by implementing the
xrandr support into the Screen Resolution tool (gnome-control-center).
I'm hoping to have this ready for upload by FF, however time is very
short.

Bryce