ia32-libs

Jerone Young jerone.young at canonical.com
Wed Dec 24 15:35:15 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 08:47 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Jerone Young
>
> (Please respect the mail-followup-to and mail-copies-to headers)

Not sure what you mean by this ? I use Evolution, so I figure when I
press reply to all it does this. Never really was a mail guru ;-).

> | Yeap. Or maybe something like /lib/x86 ../lib/x86_64  whould also be a
> | good more cleaner convention. Only time will tell what things actually
> | end up looking like.
>
> You're limiting yourself needlessly; lib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu for
> amd64 is the most sensible one.  (Output of config.guess.)  This will
> allow you to have magic handling of emulated binaries and such too.

Oh I totally agree. I read the link (someone else pointed it out) and
having lib/<arch>-<os> is sooo much better. I was very surprised on how
well though out the proposed model was.

This is actually light years ahead of the model that Redhat & Suse took.
Definitely allows for extremely easy emulation story as well as a
migration story. You can have any arch or OS package install and if the
kernel or emulation software will support execution of the binaries then
installing them is easy as cake.

> | What is the best place to discuss this or find old discussions on this
> | subject? debian mailing list?
>
> http://multiarch.alioth.debian.org/ has two papers about it; I wrote my
> master's thesis about this, there's been a lot of discussions on Debian
> mailing lists about this too, yes.

Yeap the link pointed out was http://wiki.debian.org/multiarch/ which
points to this site.

Now with all the discussion and some really good papers .. the big
question is how did to get this moving again after it has been sitting
on the shelf for over 4 years ?