ia32-libs

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 20 19:35:03 GMT 2008

]] "Karl Magdsick"

| With the performance and other technical advantages of long mode over
| 32-bit mode, and the majority of x86 CPUs sold over the past couple of
| years supporting long mode, it would be nice to see the popular
| open-source *nix distributions (as well as our friends in Redmond)
| ship OS installation media with dual kernels and install the 64-bit
| kernel if the hardware supports it.

64 bit kernels with 32 bit userland at least used to have problems with
things like netfilter, alsa and so on.  Why not just go with 64 bit
userland?  I've used that for longer than Ubuntu has existed and the
major gripe people seemed to have with it was that there was no 64 bit
Java or Flash plugin, which there is nowadays.

--
Tollef Fog Heen