Rebuilding a package with debug symbols and no optimization in a _parallel_ fashion?

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk
Wed Dec 17 19:31:18 GMT 2008

Martin Olsson wrote:

> This is very useful for debugging etc, but I've noticed one problem. Usually these builds
> run on a single core. So my question is, is there a flag I can pass along with this command
> to enable several jobs for make? Ideally, I would like to parallelize all parts of the package
> generation but if I get only the compilation that alone would be very useful.

Package building is an inherently serial process, so you would not be
able to benefit from any parallelization of that part.

Compiling the application, you can pass the -j flag to make, which
normally is called in debian/rules, so you'd have to edit that file.
That will in theory run as many parallel processes as you want (I never
use more than 5).

The buildd environment might not like it though.

Cheers.
Morten