libtool updates

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Dec 2 12:08:00 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 10:13 +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> I notice a lot of packages updating libtool in a variety of ways, so I'd
> like to make the following notes:
>
> The one, and only, proper and correct way to do this is:
>
>    autoreconf -f -i
>
> That will update all of the tools to the current version, in the right
> order.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for this information. I would like to clarify about what this
call should replace. I assume it replaces calling autoreconf with any
other arguments, and indeed calling all the scripts individually, is
that right? Should we do this instead of just calling libtoolize
without auto*? What about automake but none of the others?

You mention cdbs, is the correct thing to do with that to always
specify all DEB_AUTO_UPDATE_* or none of them?

Failures caused by this are easy to solve, but I'm always unsure if I
am solving it in the correct manner, or whether it will just break again
soon. Knowing what is correct also makes it a lot easier to take
these patches to Debian.

Thanks,

James