PIE-compiled packages uploaded

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 26 00:14:24 BST 2008

Based on a list[1] of various packages that the Security Team thought it might
make sense to add more protections to, I have now uploaded the following
packages with PIE compilation enabled (via the hardening-wrapper[2]
Build-Dep):

  apache2
  mysql-dfsg-5.0
  bind9
  openldap
  postfix
  samba
  dovecot
  dhcp3
  postgresql-8.3

I haven't seen any problems in my testing so far, but I wanted to call
attention to this change, since it's the first bulk PIE build changes
we've made.  (This package list joins openssh and avahi, which are
already built "natively" with PIE, and quagga which uses the wrapper in
Debian already.)

If there are other packages that make sense to do this for, please feel
free to do it and add them to the wiki list.  Note that there is some
performance loss on i386 which is why this option is not on by default.

Thanks,

-Kees

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/HardeningWrapper#targets
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/Hardening
    Note that all the other options besides PIE are already enabled
    in Intrepid via the compiler defaults:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CompilerFlags

--
Kees Cook