[RFC] Moving Intrepid to 2.6.27 kernel

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 26 17:43:58 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:25:06AM -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 8:59 AM,  <ubuntu-devel-request at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com>
> > Subject: Re: Re: [RFC] Moving Intrepid to 2.6.27 kernel

> >> Mario's concern is bunk with commit
> >> 7946612de2087e163308e26034286fc2dc9dacf1 fyi.
> >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7946612de2087e163308e26034286fc2dc9dacf1
> >
> > I assume you mean that his concern is in fact valid, but will be addressed
> > when we bring this patch into our 2.6.27 tree.  Thanks for confirming this.
>
> Well I'd kind of assumed that you guys will be basing the final kernel
> off of a stable
> kernel.org release and not a -rcX. That would infer that the above
> patch will be pulled in :)

Of course we will aim to ship the final 2.6.27, but with a release date
looming, the fact that something should be fixed as we track upstream
doesn't mean that we can stop paying attention to it.

If possible, we should avoid breaking this in Intrepid in the first place,
rather than breaking it and fixing it later.

> Is there anyway to add in a whitelist of people who post constructive
> comments and don't have the time to become full on core-devs? The
> moderation is really annoying and I'm not posting spam to the lists. Can
> you talk to the other Canonical-ers about this?

There is supposed to be; exactly this has been intended from the start.
There seem to be some problems with the implementation, though, and there's
a ticket open with the Canonical IS team about it (#26726).

--
 - mdz