ubuntu-devel Digest, Vol 48, Issue 36

Jeff Schroeder jeffschroed at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 16:27:11 BST 2008

> From: Ben Collins <ben.collins at canonical.com>
> Subject: [RFC] Moving Intrepid to 2.6.27 kernel
> As many of you know, we've continued a tree called ubuntu-next which is
> currently following 2.6.27 upstream kernel. It has been kept in sync
> with intrepid's 2.6.26 based kernel tree.
>
> In recent weeks it has become apparent that we will need several updates
> to 2.6.26 in order to have a stable kernel for 8.10. These include:
>
>  * Updated mac80211, which will require updated wlan drivers in order
>   to fix major regressions with suspend/resume and wlan devices.
>  * Updated alsa-1.0.17 drivers for new codecs
>  * xen64 paravirt
>  * Updated KVM
>
> These are just the major things we need to do. The good thing is, all of
> this is already in 2.6.27, and is ready to be uploaded on a moments
> notice. It has been tested by myself for quite some time, and others on
> the team have also tested it.
>
> Yesterday, we discussed the possibility of moving to 2.6.27 before
> feature freeze on #ubuntu-kernel during out weekly IRC meeting. In
> attendance were the kernel team, Steve Langasek, Chuck Short and Soren
> Hansen. Soren and Chuck gave particularly good reasons for moving to
> 2.6.27, which included xen64 and updated KVM.
>
> Steve had questions about the particulars of this move, and I believe we
> answered all of his questions satisfyingly, but we agreed to take this
> to a wider audience before making a commitment.
>
> So fire away with any concerns or issues that this might cause. If we
> are going to do it, it needs to be decided by early next week.

ftrace alone is a good enough reason to move to 2.6.27:
http://lwn.net/Articles/290277/

This would be a fantastic tool for troubleshooting running systems.
I'll probably
end up setting up a ppa for the userspace tools if Intrepid ships the
.27 kernel.

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com