[RFC] Moving Intrepid to 2.6.27 kernel

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 25 14:04:42 BST 2008

Cory K. wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
>
>> Cory K. wrote:
>>
>>> This move might stop Ubuntu Studio from a Intrepid release. Alessio has
>>> had major trouble with 2.6.26 (reason why there's no -rt in Intrepid so
>>> far) and the way we are nor doing the kernels. This move will surely set
>>> his -rt work back. Thus increasing the likelihood that Studio won't see
>>> a Intrepid release.
>>>
>>> I told him to send a email to the -kernel list asking for help. I'll
>>> poke him again.
>>>

>> If 2.6.26 is a problem, it is quickly coming to a point where the move
>> to 2.6.27 wont even be an issue for Ubuntu Studio, since -rt will be
>> too late, even for 2.6.26.
>>

> Since Alessio is having a issue with 2.6.26 we *might* just use his
> work on 2.6.26 even if Ubuntu moves to 2.6.27. I know freeze is coming
> and we'll do what we have to to get it in the repo. He really should
> have asked for help sooner.
>
> It will be a shame if we have to miss a release.

So apparently there is no upstream support for 2.6.27 for -rt atm. So we
(Ubuntu Studio) will *have* to ship 2.6.26. This will make things tricky
with updates and ALSA most likely.

This situation, along with the way the kernels are done now (as opposed
to past releases) might very well kill Studio.

We'll see.

-Cory K.