Installing recommends and the CD size

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Tue Aug 19 09:40:54 BST 2008

2008/8/13 Sam Tygier <samtygier at yahoo.co.uk>:
> Scott Ritchie wrote:
>>   Installing Wine
>> without internet, for instance, requires hand-downloading and install of
>> about 12 different .deb files even when the user has the DVD.
>
> If only some one could come up with a way of putting those 12 deb files in a tar.gz and making gdebi install it as if it where one file. Then maybe make a tool that can figure out which debs to put in, assuming that someone has default installation.

I have created such a tool for my own purposes. It makes ISO file with
all necessary packages for installation based on live CD ISO file.

ISO file is in apt-cdrom format, so can be added as CD repository.
There is also a script on CD which does the same and allows to install
package sets from CD.

You can see example CD I have just created (it took about 10 minutes)
with Wine 1.0.

The ISO is here: http://ola-os.com/iso/wine-1.0-tmp.iso
(MD5: a7c5eed1f572291cf9d01a1f5686f20b)

It is for Dapper (BTW thanks Scott for creating Wine 1.0 for Dapper :-) ).

After downloading you should mount it and run autorun.sh script which
is in root directory (it needs Konsole from KDE to run).

The script will show simple menu. Messages are in Polish (sorry,
folks, this has been created for Polish users :) ). The first option
from the top is installation of Wine, the second removing information
about CD from /etc/apt/sources.list and third is exit.

The repo is signed using my key C31BC98A
(http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC09A9D34C31BC98A),
so make sure to apt-key add it if you want to install packages from
this CD.

--

	Krzysztof Lichota