Call for testing empathy

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 21 11:46:32 BST 2008

Le mercredi 20 août 2008 à 22:52 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas a écrit :

> Laurent Bigonville wrote on 08/08/08 21:12:
> > Empathy[1] will be part of the upcoming GNOME 2.24 desktop.
> > The ubuntu desktop team considers using it instead of Pidgin for
> > intrepid as default IM client. If you are running intrepid, please give
> > empathy a test and report bugs to launchpad[2].
>
> To help in this decision, I have evaluated the usability of Empathy and
> Pidgin, and written up my findings.
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EmpathyVsPidginUsability>
> In summary, I suggest that Ubuntu continue using Pidgin by default for
> Intrepid, and that we reconsider Empathy for Intrepid+1.

Thank Matthew, that is a very good review and it will help to improve
the users experience, there is no real reason to rush into this switch
so using pidgin is intrepid and switching when next cycle starts seems
to be a reasonable option. Then we can see what the user feedback is
during the cycle and decide on what to ship by default there

Sebastien Bacher