Hosting and Vcs-* fields in packages modified from Debian

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Wed Aug 20 23:33:05 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:51:58PM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
>       So where do you people host your branches?
>        * I could push to Alioth [2], but it's disturbing for many
>          reasons:
>          - not all Ubuntu people have accounts, and we would miss the
>            groups anyway
>          - use of Debian resources for Ubuntu; I feel I need permission
>            of the packaging project I'm forking from; not really
>            possible for packages in Ubuntu alone
>          - causes a dependency between Ubuntu data and Debian
>            infrastructure: e.g. Alioth is down and you can't commit  :-/

For X, we're maintaining a git repos for xorg and xorg-server at
Alioth.  The Debian X folk have been helpful at sorting it out, and I
gather are reasonably happy to have us on board using their VCS.
They've even stepped in to help when there's been problems (and there's
been a few, mostly due to my own lack of advanced git-fu).

The only significant infrastructure interruption so far with Alioth that
impacted my own work was back with that ssh key issue, but that was a
pretty exceptional situation.

Also note with git you can commit locally, and just hold off pushing if
Alioth happened to be down.

Bryce