Most popular packages in universe (Re: Installing recommends and the CD size)

Christopher James Halse Rogers chalserogers at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 01:34:17 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 18:18 +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> [...]
<...snip...>
> > 5. compizconfig-settings-manager
> >
> >        Not surprising, given how many web pages recommend it.  People
> >        desperately want to tweak these knobs.  Should we consider adding it to
> >        the default installation (perhaps as an "Advanced..." button rather than
> >        a completely separate menu item)?  It's surprisingly large (about 4M
> >        Installed-Size).
>
>     I've heard (at a rumor level) that using this tool can break the
> standard compiz configurations, and that the use of the tool is
> deprecated?  Is this actually the case?
I don't believe that either of these things are factual.  CCSM is
definitely not deprecated, and while it's possible to use ccsm to
configure compiz in a way that makes the desktop highly unusable it
won't actually break compiz.

> If so, we should look at
> removing it entirely, and providing another means by which users can
> adjust the settings.  If not, we ought fix it and better integrate
> with the existing compiz configuration.

CCSM is unlikely to ever be completely removable.  There are too many
knobs in compiz for a sane UI to expose.  That said, there is a sane
subset of CCSM called simple-ccsm.  It might be nice to have that
installed by default - it's already integrated with the existing
configuration in that the "Custom" setting is configured with
simple-ccsm when it is installed.