Upgrades, kernel removal and last-good-boot

Ben Collins ben.collins at canonical.com
Fri Aug 15 14:27:52 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 12:59 +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 04:50:17PM -0000, Michael Vogt wrote:
> > Changes:
> >  apt (0.7.14ubuntu6) intrepid; urgency=low
> >  .
> >    * debian/apt.conf.autoremove:
> >      - remove "linux-image" (and friends) from the auto-remove
> >        blacklist. we have the kernel fallback infrastructure now
> >        in intrepid (thanks to BenC)
>
> Do we need to do anything further to ensure that this is safe for upgrades
> from Hardy?  Will the system always have its old kernel saved in
> last-good-boot before it's removed?

For starters, removing the kernel from this exception doesn't mean it
any will get automatically removed (from what I'm told).

Secondly, we've gone to great lengths to make sure that the system is
never rebooted unless last-good-boot has been run. The only way that
saving of the kernel would fail is if the system has a read-only root,
from what I can tell (or runs out of inodes, since we only do
hardlinks).

I'm pretty confident in the setup, but maybe it would be worth adding to
the QA to check that there is a last-good-boot entry on reboot, and try
booting into it.