Most popular packages in universe (Re: Installing recommends and the CD size)

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Aug 15 13:11:58 BST 2008

On Friday 15 August 2008 04:39, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> 9. ClamAV
>
> 	It would be interesting to know whether these are desktops or servers.

Maintaining clamav and it's rdepends has taken up a significant fraction of my
Ubuntu effort for the last year (the primary result of which is we currently
have a relatively modern version, 0.92.1, deployed in all supported Ubuntu
release as well as updated rdepends.

My gut feel based on this work is it's a lot of both, but mostly servers.
This is based on bugs and other feedback about both clamav and the rdepends.

Clamav (along with Spamassassin) is spec'ed to be promoted for Intrepid,
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClamavSpamassassinInMain , but so far I haven't had
the time to complete all the MIRs and there haven't been a lot of volunteers
to help.  If anyone is interested working on this, but has questions, needs
help, or would like work reviewed, I'm glad to mentor people on this process.

Scott K