Apt repository interoperability

Herman Robak herman at skolelinux.no
Tue Apr 22 09:59:19 BST 2008

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:26:13 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> Debian is your parents telling what is safe to do.  Thousands of HOWTOs
> on bungy jump and drag racing can't change that.

  I am glad you used the parenting allegory. :-)

> I don't question the fun of bungy jump, or the "need" for trying it.

  Bungy jumping is not the best parallell, statistically speaking.
Third party repositories are more analogous to unsafe sex, both in
the sense of what it does and in terms of how many are doing it.

> But I do question that it is a duty of parents to include bungy jump in
> raising their kids.

  Will you also forego "the talk" about contraceptives?  I guess you
won't.  But parents who think abstaining is The Right Thing would be
delighted to follow your line of reasoning.

> So no, I do not believe that Debian, Debian-edu or Ubuntu would be
> improved by adding features to guide you in doing things you are not
> supposed to do, even if it is common.

  Replace "not supposed to do" with "having sex", and you may realise
that you are sticking your head in the sand.

--
Herman Robak