Crucial Blockage for Hardy Development

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 21 23:32:23 BST 2008

Hi Bruce,

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 09:09:07AM +0100, Bruce Milsom wrote:
> If someone checks outstanding Bug Reports about failures to load or
> initialize Release Candidate,  or to overcome outstanding audio problems,
>  you should find that the absence of DVB-T chip drivers previously
> available in other releases (like Ubuntu 7.10 and its 2.6.22.14-generic
> kernel) is masking other problem resolution,  most folk ignoring their
> DVB-T devices.

I'm afraid this description is too general for me to understand which
outstanding bug reports you're referring to.  Can you provide a specific bug
number in connection with this issue, or a specific URL where the bugs can
be found listed?  Perhaps this is related to bug #212271, which has been
tracked as a high-priority item for the release and is now believed to be
fixed?

> Unfortunately, Launchpad and it's invigilators are not geared to reporting
> and responding to such a global problem,  'not being able to see the wood
> because of the trees'.

It's a general problem of large projects that individual developers can't
keep track of all new bug reports.  To a large extent, Ubuntu relies on
users like yourself to provide specific information (e.g., filing bugs
against appropriate packages; including hardware details where applicable)
to make sure bug reports are seen by the right developers.  The more tree
detail you can provide, the healthier we can keep the forest!

Thanks,