About ubuntu mirror server

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 7 15:39:15 BST 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:30:03PM +0800, DULMANDAKH Sukhbaatar wrote:
> Hello all.
Hi,

> I thought it maybe appropriate to cross send this to devel and mirrors
> list. We, Mongolian Open Source Initiative and adsolux LLC, are
> supporting Ubuntu through hosting releases and archive mirror server
> in here or Mongolia. We've registered it, also have alias domains
> mn.releases.ubuntu.com and mn.archive.ubuntu.com. But there is no way
> to select our server from Synaptics in neigther gutsy and hardy. The
> only way to use our server is if you install Ubuntu selecting one of
> the Mongolian time zones. Reading through mirrors list I saw that I'm
> not the only one who have this kind of problem. Maybe there is no real
> value of having this kind of server if users cannot easy configure to
> use it. But it's really boosting package installation and update time
> for more than 10 times. All I want it is to include Mongolian archive
> mirror in synaptic configuration or make it configurable through
> synaptic. I've also filed bug at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+bug/153284 in
> October 2007, still no answer.

Sorry for this, the mirror list is updated regularly based on the
mirrors wiki page. But that only happens during a development release
(should be fine with the latest hardy version of python-apt).

As Matt already pointed out, the future will be to handle the
mirror selection server side. This is already partly working (but not
stable enough to expose to all users). If you are curious, please use:

deb mirror://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+countrymirrors-archive hardy main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src mirror://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+countrymirrors-archive hardy main restricted universe multiverse

as the servers in your sources.list. This should automatically select
the best server for you. Feedback on this feature is very welcome.

Thanks,
 Michael