Short Gutsy Upgrade Report

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Sat Sep 29 20:27:50 BST 2007

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 10:59:09AM +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 16:02 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 10:37:16AM +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
> > Was this with -ati by chance?  There's a known issue here in that -ati
> > now uses xrandr, but displayconfig-gtk still tries to use xinerama,
> > which results in xorg.confs that won't work.  I've talked with glatzor
> > about this and a fix should be in soon to at least make it not attempt
> > to do this kind of dual screen configuration if it's going to fail.
> >
> > OTOH, I *think* you can just plug in the monitor and hit Fn+F8.  I've
> > not tested this on an ATI laptop myself yet, so I'd love it if someone
> > can confirm.
> >
> > It can also be achieved via plugging in the external monitor and doing
> > 'randr --auto'.  If that doesn't do it, I'd like to know.
>
> Nope, this was with an Intel card, which makes it ever the more odder.
> Sorry for not providing as complete hardware info as I should have - my
> current Intel card is a Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express.

Ah, okay well it's the same issue.  -intel also uses xrandr 1.2 (in fact
it was the first driver to gain this capability), and so dual-head
cannot be set up for it using displayconfig-gtk.

The good news is I see this morning, glatzor has already sent in a
change to guidance-backends to avoid the -ati error case.  I'll remind
him we have the same issue on intel.

Bryce